|Posted on July 20, 2012 at 7:00 AM|
When I cut my hair short I thought I’d get some pretty fabric hair bands for days I didn’t want to blow dry and style. I bought one. Why only one? Because it was $10 for a little fabric and a strip of elastic! You know me, why buy when you can make? I’ve figured out how to sew these attractive accessories, see how to make your own below! It breaks down to only about $1 for each one.
Fabric, a fat quarter will make about two
¾ inch, non-roll elastic
1. Cut two rectangles from your fabric. The piece that goes over the top of the head will be 15 ½ x 6 inches. The piece that goes over the elastic, under the hair, will be 10 x 2 ¼ inches. Also, cut one 5 ½ length of the elastic.
2. Take the top piece and fold in the long sides ¼ of an inch, then fold again. Iron and hem this ¼ inch edge on both sides.
3. Take the piece that goes under the hair and fold it in half lengthwise with the wrong side facing out. Sew a ¼ inch seam along the raw edge.
4. Turn this piece right-side out. Put a safety pin through the end of the elastic and slide it through this sleeve of fabric.
5. Scrunch up the sleeve of fabric so that the ends of the fabric meet the ends of the elastic. Sew a stitch at each end to keep it in place.
6. Okay, this part is kind of confusing. Take your top piece and lay it right side up. Take the elastic piece and lay it over the middle of the top piece so that one end of the elastic piece meets the middle of the short edge of the top piece. (Clear as mud right? That’s why I take pictures.)
7. Accordion fold one side of the top piece back and forth over the end of the elastic. Then accordion fold the other side over the end of the elastic. Alternate accordion folding each side until it’s the width of the elastic piece. Sew about ¼ - ½ inch from the edge. Do it a couple times to make sure it’s secure. Trim the raw edge.
8. Repeat for the other side of the elastic.
9. Turn the fabric so that the seams where the elastic and top piece meet end up inside the accordion folded fabric.
Slide that band in your hair and style n’ profile!
Categories: Crafty Creations